For anyone who wishes to teach outdoor first aid the following criteria have to be satisfied:

Hold the Level 3 Education and Training Award or the Level 3 Award in Teaching and Assessing First Aid Qualifications. If holding the Preparing to Teach in the Life Long Learning Sector Award (pre Education and Training Award) you need to ensure you have the full award including the assessment unit.

Hold a current first aid at work certificate as the courses you run or work on are your place of work with a duty of care to the students, and you must demonstrate some first aid knowledge.

Hold a certificate or award in the outdoor first aid you wish to teach.

If delivering regulated SQA Level 5 and Ofqual RQF Level 3 courses in outdoor first aid (also known as accredited/regulated courses) you must also hold an advanced first aid certificate such as the ITC Advanced Outdoor First Aid or Edexcel FPOS award (First Person on Scene).

If teaching non accredited (also called unregulated) outdoor first aid you would need to know what the provider of the certificate you are teaching may require you to hold.

To teach and assess you own courses you can:

Set up your own regulated centre with ITC First.

Set up your own unregulated centre and complete the HSE due diligence document for your clients.

Find another regulated or unregulated organisation who may allow you to run courses through them under a third party arrangement.

Alder Holly offer a mentored pathway with the facility to run your courses through us while being available if you wish to teach and assess courses for the centre as a freelance tutor.

To discuss options and commitment please call mob 07824449011 or email

Find us on Facebook

Head Office and All Bookings
Conwil House, Morse Road, Drybrook, Forest of Dean, Glos, GL17 9AT

Mobile: 0782 444 9011.